Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Humor

There are numerous places in the scriptures that tell us about the importance of being happy. Here are just a couple of examples: "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones" (Proverbs 17:22). "A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance (Proverbs 15:13). A latter-day prophet also taught the importance of looking on the bright side of things. Gordon B. Hinckley, the late President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints counseled, "In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured" (Stand A Little Taller, p 263). He also stated, "We need a little humor in our lives. We better take seriously that which should be taken seriously, but at the same time we can bring in a touch of humor now and again. If the time ever comes when we don't smile at ourselves, it will be a sad time" (p 342). I was reminded a few days ago that a good laugh helps to keep our emotions on a more healthy level. I was in no way feeling bad or sad or even glad - just about average - when I found some really funny videos that boosted my emotions up a few levels. Check this one out. I really enjoyed watching them because they were so funny. Then I found this one. By the time I finished watching it I was laughing so hard that I was almost in tears; however I noticed a new spring in my step for the remainder of the day and evening. I hope that you enjoy the two videos that I have included. Sometimes we have to laugh at problems in order to keep from crying about them. Children especially have a talent for making messes that put great strains on their parents' emotions. Following the birth of my oldest son - my third child in three years - my two older daughters sort of went on a rampage. They took the diaper crèam and "painted" the dresser with it. They "helped" me by pulling all of my newly sprouted carrots. They pulled all the leaves off my house plant. I don't remember my reaction at the "paint" job or the carrots, but I do remember crying at the leaves. My tears put a stop to the rampage, but now I realize that some humor might have stopped it earlier. I have heard about and watched some of the escapades of my grandchildren. One of my daughters called several times to report that her little toddler had "painted" the bathroom while trying to change her own messy diaper. One of the funniest things I've seen was my oldest son's face when his own daughter flung her messy diaper in his lap. If we can laugh at such times instead of crying or being angry, it will strengthen relationships instead of damaging them. I encourage all of us to develop the ability to use laughter to defuse difficult circumstances. We can all make life more enjoyable by adding a touch of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment