Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bush vs Obama

Did you notice the differences between former President George W. Bush and President Obama during the remembrance ceremonies for 9/11? I wondered if it were just me until I read of others seeing the differences also.

I saw a picture of the two Presidents standing together during the 9/11 memorial service in New York City. Both Presidents had their eyes closed so I assume a prayer was being said; Bush had his head bowed in humility while Obama was looking up. Was he being arrogant?

I listened to President Bush's speech at the ceremony taking place in Pennsylvania and felt that he was sincere in his words. I can't stand to listen to President Obama, but I read the words spoken by him at Ground Zero and wondered about his sincerity. The words were all good, and they should have been comforting. I questioned his sincerity because he has a history of saying all the right words - the words we want to hear - but his actions tend to go in a different direction. I noticed that President Bush received applause both in Pennsylvania and at Ground Zero while President Obama did not.

I felt comforted while watching and listening to President Bush. I remember back ten years to the day of the attacks and the comfort I received knowing that President Bush was our leader. He was a true statesman. He was severely attacked on every side for every decision he made, but the policies adopted during his administration have kept us safe from further terrorist attacks for the past ten years even though at least forty-one attempts have been made. President Obama talked about how he would change many of those policies - from closing Gitmo to trying terrorists in civil courts - but his tune changed when he was in charge.

I thought of the billboards containing a picture of President Bush and the question "Miss me yet?" My answer is yes!

President Bush understands the importance of remembering 9/11 and who attacked our nation. President Obama wants to turn 9/11 into a day of service. Service to others is important, but it can be done on many other days. Each anniversary of 9/11 should be a day for remembering!

No comments:

Post a Comment