Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Presidential Candidates

The highly anticipated debate between GOP presidential candidates will be held August 7, 2011. I plan to watch the debate because I want to see the choices available. I recommend that you watch it also and listen carefully for what principles are important to each candidate. In order to be well-educated at election time, we must start doing some real listening and understanding!

As we search for a candidate that we can support, it is important that we educate ourselves about the principles of each candidate. Noah Webster, one of our Founders, counseled, "In selecting men [and women] for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate - look to his character…" (Letters to a Young Gentleman Commencing His Education, 1789).

I was once asked by some family members about who I would want to be the Republican candidate for President. Would I vote for Mitt Romney because he is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint (sometimes known as Mormons) or would I vote for Sarah Palin because she is an Alaskan? I answered that I didn't know if I would vote for either of them. I won't vote for anyone simply because they belong to the same Church as I do, and I won't vote for Palin simply because she comes from Alaska. Here are some of my thoughts about possible candidates.

Mitt Romney looks "presidential" and has previous experiences to prove he has the ability to lead. I believe that he bases his life on good, moral principles and that he has the good of our nation at heart. I believe strongly that he could improve the economical situation. My main objection to Romney is that he seems to be more liberal than I prefer in a Republican candidate. He seems to be wishy-washy about where he stands. I am afraid that he would be another John McCain and lose the election. The fact that Democrats and the Republican Establishment like him scares me!

Sarah Palin is definitely conservative enough. She shows great courage as she stands on her principles. I voted for her for Governor of Alaska, and I have positive feelings about her service. Knowing the pressures and constant court challenges against her, I think that she made the right decision to resign as governor. By resigning, she allowed Alaska to move forward in its business. Having said all that, I hope that she does not "throw her hat into the ring." I think that she has enough fame and influence as a well-known private citizen and hope that she decides to protect her family from further "mud slinging." For me personally, I would rather have a man as President of the United States - even though I recognize that women are just as capable of doing so.

I don't like Jon Huntsman, another member of my Church, at all - and I don't know why. He doesn't seem to me to be presidential. He doesn't look the part and hasn't impressed me yet.

Herman Cain is the only Black GOP candidate in the race. I once wondered if the failure of our first Black president would keep people from voting for any other Black candidate. I don't think so. I have listened several times when Cain was interviewed. I like him. He seems to have strong moral principles and has shown good leadership skills in the business world. I would vote for him if he became the GOP candidate, but I don't expect him to be selected.

Michelle Bachman is definitely conservative, but I can't see her as President. I believe that she should stay in the House of Representatives doing what she has been doing so well.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is at the top of my list at this time. I can see him leading our nation. He seems to be conservative enough to satisfy me and seems to be unafraid of blunt statements. We need a candidate who is not afraid to be blunt. He definitely has leadership ability. People are moving to Texas because the jobs are in Texas! I'm anxious to watch how he does in the debate. His political star is rising because he offers a complete alternative to Obama.

Barack Obama needs to be denied a second term in order to preserve our American life. Anyone who wants to maintain our democratic republican government must understand that Obama is trying to destroy it. All Americans must be honest when determining whether or not Obama has made life easier and better in the United States. I have seen the following statement or a similar one in several different places. "If you voted for Barack Obama to prove that you are not racist, vote for someone else in 2012 to prove that you are not stupid." When I first read the statement, I laughed. As I processed the statement, I thought of friends and family members who voted for Obama and realized that I would not consider any of them as being stupid. They are all have good educations and are intelligent people; they simply think differently than I do because they have had different life experiences. To them and anyone else who voted for Obama last time, I ask the following questions: Are you better off than you were four years ago? Is the United States better off than it was four years ago? Will Obama make things better for you or our nation if he gets re-elected?

No comments:

Post a Comment