Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Two Mrs. Bassett


                    Richard Bassett, signer of the United States Constitution, had two wives.  He married Ann Ennals in 1774, and the couple became parents of three children:  Richard Ennals, Ann (known as Nancy) and Mary.  After the death of his first wife, Richard married Betsy Garnett in 1796.  They were active in the Methodist Church, and they gave much of their time and attention to the church.  Bassett's daughter, Ann, married James A. Bayard, a U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator; they were the ancestors of the branch of the Bayard family prominent in Delaware politics to this day.

                    This is all the information that I could find on the Internet for these two women.  It saddens me that so little information is known about so many different women in past history, most of whom I am sure were noble daughters of God.  When I attended a temple session today, I was proxy for a woman known only as "Prudence" who was born some place in Ireland.  I knew the year of her birth while I was in the temple, but I no longer remember it.  I can only imagine what it will be like in the next life when the Lord wants to meet this noble woman.  "Will all the sisters named Prudence who were born in Ireland in the year [1787] please arise?"  I wonder how many there will be and how God will determine if He is meeting with the correct Prudence!  With all the sites with information about Richard Bassett, I would think that someone could have found more information about his wives!

No comments:

Post a Comment