Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Too Many Rules


                I am in full agreement with the Founders of our nation who believed that each human being is capable of governing himself or herself if taught proper principles.  I believe the United States Constitution can govern our nation sensibly and well.  I believe in limited government with limited laws and regulations to protect us from enemies both foreign and domestic.  I believe government is necessary to protect my life, liberty, and property, but I do not believe government should attempt to protect me from my mistakes.

I believe it is my duty – and yours – to obey the laws of the land.  I believe that each of us is “… subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law” (Articles of Faith 1:12).

                I believe there are too many laws and regulations in our government, and I believe politicians of both parties are responsible for the sad circumstances of our nation today.  I believe that We the People share this responsibility because we failed to keep our eyes on the politicians and because the majority of us fail to live the higher laws of morality. 

The laws and regulations being forced upon us “for our own good” are long-past the point of protecting us.  In fact, they are obviously being written in an effort to control us rather than for our liberty.  A famous example of too many regulations is the Health Care Act, better known as Obamacare.  Why do we even need more than 2000 pages – so many pages that many Senators and Representatives did not even bother to read the bill before voting for it.  Another example is the crazed frenzy of those trying to control criminals by taking guns away from law-abiding citizens.  While driving recently, I saw a road sign stating that it was a state law to obey road signs.  This seems so redundant to me because drivers should be wise enough to understand that the highway signs are there for their safety and that there should not be a need for a law to force obedience.

                I do not know the author for the following the story – which I recognize as only a story - but I think it illustrates well how our lives are being impacted by the many agencies, laws, and regulations being forced upon us by politicians.  I know from my scripture study that God will never cleanse the earth by another flood, and I know that rainbows are proof of God’s promise to never flood the earth again. In fact, I know from the scriptures that God will burn the earth when mortals become ripe in iniquity and reach the point where repentance is impossible.  I also know from the scriptures that God will save those people who are living righteously before allowing fire to consume the earth.  Even knowing all this, I enjoyed reading this story because it illustrates our insane world.  It vividly tells the truth about our politicians and how they are being disloyal to our trust and giving us too many rules!


In year 2013, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in America and said, “Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me.  Build another Ark and save two of every living thing along with a few good humans.”

                God gave the blueprints for the Ark to Noah and said, “You have six months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for forty days and forty nights.”
                Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard – but no Ark.  “Noah!” He roared.  “I’m about to start the rain!  Where is the Ark?”

                “Forgive me, Lord,” begged Noah, “but things have changed.  I needed a Building Permit.  I’ve been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system.  My homeowners association claims that I’ve violated the Neighborhood By-laws by building the Ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations.  We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision. 

“Then the City Council and the Electricity Company demanded a boat load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions to clear the passage for the Ark’s move to the sea.  I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it.

“Getting the wood was another problem.  There’s a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl.  I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls – but no go!
“When I started gathering the animals, PETA took me to court.  They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will.  They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

“Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn’t build the Ark until they’d conducted an environmental impact study on Your proposed flood.

“I’m still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I’m supposed to hire for my building crew.  The Immigration Department is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work.  The labor unions say I can’t use my sons and insist I have to hire only union workers with ark-building experience.

“To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I’m trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.  So forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least ten years for me to finish this ark.”

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine and a rainbow stretched across the sky.  Noah looked up in wonder and asked, “You mean you’re not going to destroy the world?”
“No,” said the Lord.  “The [politicians] beat me to it.”  (Author Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment