Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Savior and Redeemer

                Women have always been held in high esteem by Jesus Christ and His prophets, and women of today are treated the same.  Women in New Testament times were given great blessings and opportunities as they “exercised faith in Jesus Christ, learned and lived His teachings, and testified of His ministry, miracles, and majesty.”  (See “Visiting Teaching Message - The Divine Mission of Jesus Christ:  Savior and Redeemer,” Ensign, April 2014, p. 7) 

                One of the women who exercised great faith in Jesus Christ was the woman at the well.  The New Testament tells us that she went to the well to draw water and met the Savior there.  After conversing for a few minutes, the Savior explained:  “Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
                “The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not….
                “I know that [the Messiah] cometh, which is called Christ:  when he is come, he will tell us all things.
                “Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.”
                The woman left her “waterpot” at the well and went into the city to testify of Him.  (See John 4:6-30.)

                Sister Linda K. Burton, Relief Society general president, spoke to the woman of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the Relief Society broadcast in September 2012, and her topic was “Is Faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ Written in Our Hearts?”  “Heavenly Father … sent His Only Begotten and perfect Son to suffer for our sins, our heartaches, and all that seems unfair in our own individual lives.
                “… One woman who had been through years of trial land sorrow said through her tears, `I have come to realize that I am like an old 20-dollar bill – crumpled, torn, dirty, abused, and scarred.  But … I am still worth the full 20 dollars.’  This woman knows that she … was worth enough to [God] to send His Son to atone for her, individually.  Every sister in the Church should know what this woman knows” (“Is Faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ Written in Our Hearts,” Ensign, November 2012, p. 114). 

                Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke in General Conference in April 2013, and his topic was “Redemption” a perfect topic for the Easter season.  He stated that Redeemer is among the most significant titles for Christ.  “Redeem means to pay off an obligation or a debt.  Redeem can also mean to rescue or set free as by paying a ransom….  Each of these meanings suggests different facets of the great Redemption accomplished by Jesus Christ through His Atonement, which includes, in the words of the dictionary, `to deliver from sin and its penalties, as by a sacrifice made for the sinner’” (“Redemption,” Ensign, May 2013, p. 109). 

                Do you have faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ?  Do you share your testimony of the Redeemer with your friends and associates?  Is your testimony of the Savior written in your heart?  Do you feel gratitude to the Savior and Redeemer for paying the ransom for you?  How do you show your gratitude for His great offering?   What blessings are you receiving in your life because of the redemption of the Savior?


                I have a testimony of the Savior’s great atoning sacrifice.  I know that He loved each of us enough to suffer, bleed and die to make it possible for us to return to His presence.  I have often wondered just how many drops of His blood were shed for my sins.  I came to the realization that I could make His suffering a little easier by committing fewer sins myself.  I love Him, and I am grateful for His sacrifice in my behalf.  I know that He knows how I feel about Him and loves me in spite of my many weaknesses and sins!  I receive many blessings as I exercise my faith in Jesus Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment