Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pray for America

                America today is in danger, possibly the greatest danger since the American Revolution.  The reason for this terrible danger is the destruction of the United States Constitution.  The Constitution – the Supreme Law – of our nation is being taken apart bit by bit.  Every time Barack Obama usurps power from the Legislative Branch or the Judiciary Branch, the Constitution suffers.  Our nation is weakened every time his Department of Justice refuses to enforce the laws of the land.

                Secret combinations are in control of our government and involve both Democrats and Republicans.  I do not know the individuals involved in the secret groups, but I do recognize their work.  The only way America will survive is for all of us to turn to God in prayer and righteousness.

                Judi McLeod of Canada Free Press encourages everyone to pray for America “because without America there is no Free World.”  She reminded us that numerous great men have prayed for protection and were blessed.  One of those great men was General George Washington who was “never afraid to get down on his knees to pray in the mud.”  One of my favorite paintings shows General Washington on his knees in the snow.  One of his prayers was written as follows.

                “O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul.
                “Direct my thoughts, words and work.  Wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb, and purge my heart by the Holy Spirit, from the dross of my natural corruption, that I may with more freedom of mind and liberty of will serve thee, the everlasting God, in righteousness and holiness this day, and all the days of my life.
                “Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the Gospel.  Give me repentance from dead works.  Pardon my wanderings, & direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation.  Teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments.  Make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber.  But daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life.  Bless my family, friends & kindred, unite us all in praising & glorifying thee in all our works begun, continued, and ended, when we shall come to make our last account before thee blessed Savior, who hath taught us thus to pray, our Father.”

                At least two ancient American civilizations – the Jaredites and the Nephites - were destroyed when they failed to worship Jesus Christ, stopped praying to Heavenly Father, and turned to wickedness.  (See the Book of Mormon – Another Testament of Christ.)  The Bible tells us that the people were so wicked in the days of Noah that God sent a flood to wash away the wickedness.  Only Noah and his immediate family were saved.  Modern prophets and apostles have stated that the world today is nearing the great wickedness of Noah’s day.

                The great evil of barbarians in the Middle East is spreading and affecting the entire world.  ISIS/ISIL is pure evil and must be stopped if civilization as we know it is to survive.  The United States and a few other countries started making air strikes against ISIS/ISIL in Syria on Monday, September 22, 2014.  This conflict is already being referred to as World War III.  Ms. McLeod is correct in saying that we need to pray for America “because without America there is no Free World.”

                How can prayer help America?  Sincere prayer requires humility, and humility makes mankind turn to God to ask for protection.  God cannot bless us in our wickedness; His law requires that we turn to Him.

                At a similar time in ancient America, the prophet Alma told his people:  “Yea, and I say unto you that if it were not for the prayers of the righteous, who are now in the land, that ye would even now be visited with utter destruction; yet it would not be by flood, as were the people in the days of Noah, but it would be by famine, and by pestilence, and the sword.
                “But it is by the prayers of the righteous that ye are spared… (Book of Mormon, Alma 10:22-23). 

                Please join Ms. McLeod, myself, and millions of other people in praying for America.  We can call down the powers of heaven to bless our nation if we will humbly bow before God and ask for His protection.  America is a powerful nation, but our nation will ultimately be saved by the power of God.  “Pray for America because without America there is no Free World.”

No comments:

Post a Comment