Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Aging Parents

                Families, communities, and nations are strengthened as we interact with our aging parents.  They have gained much knowledge and wisdom that can benefit us if we will only take the time to learn from them.  I hesitate to write this post because I do not want to give the wrong impression or make my own children feel guilty or obligated.  I do however wish I had taken the time to gain more wisdom and knowledge from my own parents as well as those of my husband while they were still with us.  .
                Rachelle J. Christensen wrote a very interesting article about gleaning knowledge and wisdom from by our parents, particularly those who are nearing the end of their lives on earth.  I believe the article has valuable information for anyone and encourage you to read the article.  Here are her ten suggestions for making every moment with aging parents count but read the article for more information.

#1 Take mom or dad out to eat and ask them questions about their childhood.
#2 Take time to connect with your parents.
#3 Invite your parents over for dinner.
#4 Participate in family history work together.
#5 Take your parents to the temple.
#6 Invite your parents over for family home evening.
#7 Encourage and help them come to grandchildren’s events, but also make sure children know why their grandparents can’t always come.
#8 Make General Conference a family event.
#9 Be involved in your parents’ lives.
#10 Be patient with your parents.

                I am sharing this information with you to help you avoid some of the guilty feelings I have for not including aging parents more in the lives of my family.  The thing that I feel most guilty about is not taking the time to sit down and just listen to them.  I remember my husband’s father saying something about gaining wisdom and no one wanting to hear it.  I was so busy with a daughter’s wedding that I did not take the time to really listen to him.  Now I recognize that I lost a valuable opportunity to make him feel appreciated as well as to gain some knowledge.  We can strengthen our families, communities, and nations by making the most of every moment with our aging parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment