Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Monday, October 3, 2016

Ted Cruz

                Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) made news recently when he announced on Facebook that he would vote for the Republican nominee, Donald Trump. Cruz announced, “After many months of careful consideration, of prayer and searching my own conscience.” He gave two reasons why he came to this decision: (1) He promised to support the Republican nominee (2) “Hillary Clinton is wholly unacceptable.”

                Cruz then proceeds to discuss “Six key policy differences” that inform his decision: (1) The Supreme Court. “For anyone concerned about the Bill of Rights – free speech, religious liberty, the Second Amendment – the Court hangs in the balance.” Cruz said that the deciding factor was Trump’s release of “a very strong list of potential Supreme Court nominees … and making an explicit commitment to nominate only from that list. This commitment matters, and it provides a serious reason for voters to choose to support Trump.” (2) Obamacare. Trump pledged to sign legislation repealing Obamacare. (3) Energy. Trump promises to “reduce regulations” on the energy sector and allow it to create more jobs. (4) Immigration. Trump promises to “revoke those illegal executive orders.” (5) National Security. Trump promises “to stop the deluge of unvetted refugees.” (6) Internet Freedom. “Trump came out strongly against” Obama’s plan to “hand over control of the Internet to an international community….”

                It appears to me that Cruz came to the same conclusion that I have reached. There is only one chance to keep Hilary Clinton out of the White House, and that chance rests on Donald Trump. “Our country is in crisis. Hillary Clinton is manifestly unfit to be president, and her policies would harm millions of Americans. And Donald Trump is the only thing standing in her way.”

                I am not excited about having Donald Trump as the President of the United States. I have never liked the man, and I do not like the way he has acted in this election. He is far from my first choice as a President – or even my second, third, and fourth choices. I have never been a “Never Trump” person, but I have always been a “Never Clinton” person. We may not know what we are getting with Trump, but we do know what we will get with Clinton!

                I see no better alternative to meet my goal to keep Clinton out of the White House than voting for Trump. There may be better people running for the office of President, but they will never win the election. I may be “falling on my sword” just like Ted Cruz, but I am doing it for my country! 

No comments:

Post a Comment