Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Trust the Holy Ghost

                We can bring the greatest of all liberties into our individual lives by living true and correct principles.  This liberty comes to us as we live as though Jesus Christ were walking beside us. 

                The liberty principle for today is the second in a series of true principles suggested by Elder Richard G. Scott in his book 21 Principles – Divine Truths to Help You Live by the Spirit.  I will merely introduce the principle and suggest that you obtain Elder Scott’s book in order to truly understand this principle.  Elder Scott explained that principles “are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances.  A true principle makes decisions clear even under the most confusing and challenging circumstances.”  See principle #1 here.
   
                Principle #2:  The Holy Ghost will never prompt us to do something that we cannot do.  This means that we can feel safe in following the prompting.  It also means that we should “listen and obey” the first prompting that comes to us.  This does not mean that the task will be easy for us.  “It may require extra-ordinary effort and much time, patience, prayer, and obedience, but we can do it.”

                We must exercise faith in God in order to tap into the “limitless power” of God.  “True faith has enormous power, but there are principles that must be followed to unleash that power.  One of the principles is that we must “practice the truth or principle” that you believe.  “Recognize that the Lord will give you the capacity to understand and prove through personal experience the truthfulness of His teachings.  He will confirm the certainty that His laws will produce the promised results when obeyed willingly and consistently.”


                We must have enough faith in the smallest prompting from the Holy Ghost to obey it in order to receive further promptings.  I keep my personal journal on the computer.  One day the Holy Ghost suggested that it was time for me to print my journal.  I began printing the pages almost immediately, saving them in sheet protectors in a three-ring binder until I found a more permanent way to bind them together.  I asked several people how they bound their journal pages together and heard several different ways to do it; however, I did not really like any of those ways.  I continued to search for a simple way to bind my pages – all while continuing to print pages.  I am not yet to the point where I can actually do the binding, but I believe I have a way to do what I want to do.  I also believe that this idea came to me from the Holy Ghost and only because I was being obedient to the first prompting.

No comments:

Post a Comment