Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Reasons to Carry a Gun


                The liberty principle for this Freedom Friday is the simple fact that there are good reasons for people to carry guns.  There are many people who do not understand why Americans want to carry guns, including those who are frightened by “scary” guns and those who believe that gun control will actually decrease crime.  There are also people who think that everyone should have a gun and know how to use it properly.

I am a strong believer in the Second Amendment.  I believe that everyone has the right to own a gun and to use it in self-defense.  I do not personally carry a gun, but I know how to use one properly.  I am also a fairly good shot with a rifle, having killed two buffalo and a moose with one shot each.  I do not enjoy shooting guns, but I am willing to do so when needed.

I appreciated a recent e-mail with the following reasons why one person carries a gun.  The information was written in reply to the question “Why carry a gun?”

“My old grandpa said to me, `Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take a whoopin’.
“I don’t carry a gun to kill people.  I carry a gun to keep from being killed.  I don’t carry a gun to scare people.  I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.  I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.  I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.  I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.  I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.  I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.  I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.  I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.  I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.  I don’t carry gun because I want to shoot someone.  I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.  I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.  I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.  I don’t carry a gun because I just `feel’ inadequate.  I carry a gun because I am inadequate unarmed and facing three armed thugs.  I don’t carry a gun because I love it.  I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.”  (Author unknown)

Still another reason to carry a gun is because police cannot protect us from all evil.  The old saying, when seconds count the police are minutes away, is very true.  “Police protection is an oxymoron.  Police do not protect us from crime; they usually arrive in time to investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.  Free citizens must protect themselves.”  (Author unknown)

The fact is, guns in the hands of honest, law abiding citizens save lives and property on a regular basis.  I think of the young widow in Oklahoma who defended herself and her child a year or so ago.  Her husband had recently died of cancer, and some druggies thought there might be some pain killers in her home.  She called 9-1-1, and the police came about 30 minutes later.  When crazed robbers came through the door, she fired; she killed one and wounded the other – but saved her life and the life of her baby.  A recent robbery in New York City was prevented when a resident pulled out his AR-15 and frightened a would-be robber away.  The gun owner did not even need to fire his gun, which was actually unloaded.

Gun owners and users provide protection for their nation as well as their homes.  Hitler and the Nazis decided against invading Switzerland during World War II because they knew the Swiss citizens were heavily armed and capable of defending themselves.  The Swiss government issues firearms to every household and trains every adult that receives one.  Switzerland has the lowest gun-related crime rate of any civilized nation in the world.

Always remember that we are citizens when we have guns but subjects when we are unarmed.  If the Progressives in charge of our nation are actually able to ram through a gun control law, our government will waste millions of our tax dollars trying to control the guns.  When and where guns are controlled, it is only the law-abiding citizens who are unarmed and defenseless.

No comments:

Post a Comment