Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Part 2: General Conference


                If you had the opportunity to listen to a prophet of God, would you do it?  I would – and I did.  I went to General Conference anxiously awaiting what President Thomas S. Monson would say.  I was disappointed when he did not give his customary remarks to open conference on Saturday morning - as were most members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I was even more anxious to know if he would speak in conference.

                I was disappointed when a few members of the Church decided to vote “no” when I asked to sustain the Prophet.  I was a little shocked at the vote because I have only seen it happen a few times in my entire life.  I saw a “no” vote here in Anchorage, Alaska, many years ago when the boundaries of the wards were being changed.  I was as surprised by who made the vote as I was at the vote itself.  I do not know what she told the Bishop and/or Stake President, but I assume it had to do where the line was drawn.  Her thoughts were apparently accepted and taken into consideration, but the boundaries stayed the same and she remained active in the ward.

                The Prophet did not speak at all during the morning and afternoon sessions of conference on Saturday; he did speak in the Priesthood Session and again during the Sunday morning session but did not give his customary remarks closing the conference.  Here are a few of the words of the Prophet of God.

                Attend the temple:  President Thomas S. Monson spoke of the blessings of attending the temple:  “As we go to the temple, as we remember the covenants we make there, we will be better able to overcome those temptations and to bear our trials.  In the temple we can find peace…. 
                “May our Heavenly Father bless us that we may have the spirit of temple worship that we may be obedient to His commandments, and that we may follow carefully the steps of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

                Express gratitude for the many gifts given to us by Jesus Christ:  “May we offer prayers of gratitude for His great and marvelous gifts to us [as we celebrate Easter].”
               
                Ponder our duties and responsibilities:  “Let us consider our callings.  Let us reflect on our responsibilities; let us determine our duty; and let us follow Jesus Christ, Our Lord.”
                President Monson quoted Doctrine and Covenant 121:45:  “Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly.”

                To be righteous followers of Jesus Christ, we must learn of Him:  “We are engaged in the work of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Let us learn of Him.  Let us follow in His footsteps.  Let us live by His precepts.”


                I am grateful for my knowledge that a Prophet of God walks the earth today.  I am grateful to know that he has the power and authority to speak for God.  I am grateful to know that he does reveal God words to those who will listen.   I am grateful for President Thomas S. Monson – Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and I sustain him with all my heart, and I will follow his counsel!

No comments:

Post a Comment