Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Finding Christmas Joy

                We can strengthen our families, communities, and nations by helping children find Christmas joy.   We can find this joy in many ways but never in a store.  This joy is found through unselfishness, love and service.

                President Thomas S. Monson shared his own story about finding the joy of Christmas.  It is a wonderful story told best in his words:  

                “In about my tenth year, as Christmas approached, I yearned as only a boy can yearn for an electric train.  My desire was not to receive the economical and everywhere-to-be-found wind-up model train, but rather one that operated through the miracle of electricity.  The times were those of economic depression, yet Mother and Dad, through some sacrifice, I am sure, presented to me on Christmas morning a beautiful electric train.  For hours I operated the transformer, watching the engine first pull its cars forward, [and] then push them backward around the track.

                “Mother entered the living room and said to me that she had purchased a wind-up train for Widow Hansen’s boy, Mark, who lived down the lane.  I asked if I could see the train.  The engine was short and blocky – not long and sleek like the expensive model l had received.  However, I did take notice of an oil tanker car which was part of his inexpensive set.  My train had no such car, and pangs of envy began to be felt.  I put up such a fuss that Mother succumbed to my pleadings and handed me the oil tanker car.  She said, `If you need it more than Mark, you take it.’  I put it with my train set and felt pleased with the result.

                “Mother and I took the remaining cars and the engine down to Mark Hansen.  The young boy was a year or two older than I.  He had never anticipated such a gift and was thrilled beyond words.  He wound the key in his engine, it not being electric like mine, and was overjoyed as the engine and two cars, plus a caboose, went around the track.  Mother wisely asked, `What do you think of Mark’s train, Tommy?
                “I felt a keen sense of guilt and became very much aware of my selfishness.  I said to Mother, `Wait just a moment – I’ll be right back.’  As swiftly as my legs could carry me, I ran to our home, picked up the oil tanker car plus an additional car of my own, ran back down the lane to the Hansen home, and said joyfully to Mark, `We forgot to bring two cars which belong to your train.’

                “Mark coupled the two extra cars to his set.  I watched the engine make its labored way around the track and felt a supreme joy difficult to describe and impossible to forget.”


                 My wish is that parents everywhere would find some way to help their children feel the “supreme joy” that President Monson felt as a boy when he forgot himself and thought about making another boy happy.  When children learn that lesson, our families, communities, and nations will be strengthened.

No comments:

Post a Comment