Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Long Term Commitments

            The liberty principle for this Freedom Friday is the necessity to make long term commitments. Commitment is a big word that means dedication or willingness to give time and energy to a person, cause, or activity.  It means an obligation that restricts freedom of action. It also means a promise of loyalty to a person or cause.

            Marriage is a commitment. When a person marries, they make a commitment to be loyal to their spouse and to willingly give time and energy to the marriage. Many marriages are made “until death do ye part,” but some are made “for time and eternity.” Either type of marriage is a long-term commitment.

            A marriage for time and eternity must be performed in the right place by a person having the right authority. Such a marriage can last for eternity if the two people involved keep their covenant with each other and God. That is the type of marriage that I entered, and that is the type of marriage I strive to obtain.

            Marriage is not easy for most couples because it takes time, effort, unselfishness, and commitment to bridge the gap between two individuals and make them one. A marriage for time and eternity requires a great and continuing commitment on the part of both husband and wife.

            My husband and I come from long lines of people who made eternal commitments to each other. Both sets of parents were married for time and eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. My mother passed away about five months before the planned celebration of my parents’ golden anniversary. My husband’s parents celebrated their fifty years together and then some additional years. I have six older siblings who have celebrated fifty years together, and a seventh who would have if he had not died at age 65.

            My husband and I are celebrating our fiftieth wedding anniversary this week. All six of our children and their spouses, plus our seventeen grandchildren have joined us in our celebration. I went to my husband about two years ago and asked him for a favor. I told him that I did not want him to just tell me no but to help me find a way to take the family on a cruise for our fiftieth anniversary. I was aware that he was not enthusiastic about my idea, but he did not tell me no.


            The planning for this celebration also took long term commitment. We contacted our children and enlisted them in the idea. Even though it costs each of them lots of time and money as well as a sacrifice of activities that they would rather do, they have supported and helped us to make this celebration a reality. Creating a family that lasts for eternity is a long-term commitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment