Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Monday, February 3, 2020

Who Is Lisa Murkowski?


            My VIP for this week is Lisa Murkowski. I am as surprised as you for her to be my VIP. As you most likely know, Murkowski played a big part in ending the charade known as the impeachment trial for President Donald Trump. I honestly did not know what to expect from her, but I was pleased to know that she was voting against more witnesses. 


            I was impressed with the reasoning that Murkowski gave for her decision to vote against more witnesses. It showed me that she had put thought into her decision and was not acting like a robot. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. This is Murkowski’s statement:



I worked for a fair, honest, and transparent process, modeled after the Clinton trial, to provide ample time for both sides to present their cases, ask thoughtful questions, and determine whether we need more.



The House chose to send articles of impeachment that are rushed and flawed. I carefully considered the need for additional witnesses and documents, to cure the shortcomings of its process, but ultimately decided that I will vote against considering motions to subpoena.



Given the partisan nature of this impeachment from the very beginning and throughout, I have come to the conclusion that there will be no fair trial in the Senate. I don't believe the continuation of this process will change anything. It is sad for me to admit that, as an institution, the Congress has failed.



It has also become clear some of my colleagues intend to further politicize this process, and drag the Supreme Court into the fray, while attacking the Chief Justice. I will not stand for nor support that effort. We have already degraded this institution for partisan political benefit, and I will not enable those who wish to pull down another.



We are sadly at a low point of division in this country.



            I must say that I am pleased with my senior senator for both her vote and her reason, and I feel that I should give credit where credit is due. Murkowski stood for the Constitution and protecting the integrity of the Supreme Court, while addressing her concern that Congress has fallen to a low point. I believe that she voiced the feelings of millions of Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment