Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

How Do Choices Affect My Privileges?


            There are people who tell me that I have “privileges” that others do not, and I agree with them. However, most of my privileges come from choices made by myself, my parents, or my ancestors. 


            The first choice was made by Eve – and then Adam – who chose to eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. Their choice to eat the fruit and be cast out of the garden made it possible for them to have posterity. Because of their choice, I had the privilege of coming to this earth to receive a physical body. It is indeed a privilege to have a physical body, and it is a great blessing to have a healthy physical body. I recognize and express gratitude to Father for this blessing every single day.


            Other choices were made by ancestors who made the decision to come to America. They came at different times and for different reasons, but their choices made it possible for me to be born on American soil in a free land. I recognize that being born in America is a great privilege, and I express gratitude often for this blessing. I do not know why I have this privilege except that I benefit from the choices made by my ancestors hundreds of years ago. The greatness of America is emphasized by the million or so people who immigrate to America every year, and the millions of other people who would come if they could.


            Those same ancestors – or their posterity – made the choice to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before or after they immigrated to America. Their decisions made it possible for me to born into a family where the gospel of Jesus Christ was taught and lived. This privilege helped me to live my life without being addicted to tobacco, alcohol, or drugs, while at the same time learning that Heavenly Father has a plan for my happiness on earth and in the next life. This blessing brought great stability to my life.


            My parents made the choice to love each other, to get married before having a family, and to stay married. Therefore, I had the privilege of being reared in a home with my biological parents and siblings. I was taught to be honest, work hard, and obey the commandments of God and the laws of the land. I have been in the presence of many police officers, but I have never been arrested or disrespected. None of my family has been in jail or prison. Although the income level of my family was close to the poverty level, I always lived in a home where I felt loved, was not abused, and had food and clothes. I recognize that this privilege is withheld from many children because of the choices made by their parents.


            I am sure that you noticed that all the privileges mentioned above are available to people of all races, ethnicities, and religions. They did not come to me because of the color of my skin or the background of my people. These privileges come to me because my ancestors made good choices many years ago that benefit me today.


            I make choices today that build on the decisions made by my parents and ancestors. I chose to marry before getting pregnant, and I have stayed married for more than 50 years. I chose to follow the teachings of my church and my parents to work and to become self-reliant. Life has not been easy, and I have struggled many times. I may not have had the same struggles that other people have, but I have my share of difficulties.


            My question to you is about your choices. Will the choices that you make today and tomorrow bring benefits into the lives of your children, grandchildren, and posterity for hundreds of years? If not, why are you making those choices? You have the responsibility to them to bring blessings into their lives and to make their lives as good as possible. 


I hope that you noticed that I did not say “as easy as possible.” I do not believe that easy lives build the same character that challenged ones do. However, I encourage you to do what you can to bring blessings of all kinds into the lives of your posterity. They will love and respect you and call you blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment