Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Can I Know for Myself?

My Come Follow Me studies for this week took me to Alma 32-35 in a lesson titled “Plant This Word in Your Hearts.” The lesson was introduced with the following information. 

For the Zoramites, prayer consisted of standing where all could see and repeating empty, self-satisfied words. The Zoramites lacked faith in Jesus Christ – even denied His existence – and persecuted the poor (see Alma 31:9-25). By contrast, Alma and Amulek taught that prayer has more to do with what happens in our hearts than on a public platform. And if we do not show compassion toward people in need, our prayer is “vain, and availeth … nothing” (Alma 34:28). Most important, we pray because we have faith in Jesus Christ, who offers redemption through His “infinite and eternal sacrifice” (Alma 34:10). Such faith, Alma explained, starts with humility and a “desire to believe” (Alma 32:27). Over time, with constant nourishment, the word of God takes root in our hearts until it becomes “a tree springing up unto everlasting life” (Alma 32:41).

I feel impressed to write on this principle: “I can know for myself” (Alma 32:26-43). The Zoramites were not sure about Alma’s testimony of Christ, so Alma suggested that they try “an experiment” (see Alma 32:27). Experiments require desire, curiosity, action, and at least a little faith – and they can lead to wonderful discoveries!

Alma’s “experiment” involved treating the gospel of Jesus Christ as if it were a seed. A seed is planted in good soil, nourished, and given time. Alma explained that the gospel of Jesus Christ should be treated the same way.

Good soil is humility and willingness to experiment.

Seed is a desire to know the truth.

Nourishment comes in the form of prayer, scripture study, listening to the testimonies of other people.

Harvest is when faith in a doctrine or principle becomes knowledge.

Moroni, the last prophet in the Book of Mormon – Another Testament of Jesus Christ, offered a similar experiment in gaining a testimony of the Book of Mormon and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2 And I seal up these records, after I have spoken a few words by way of exhortation unto you.


3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.


4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost.


5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

I have completed the experiments as suggested by both Alma and Moroni. I was sincere in my desire to know if the Book of Mormon is the word of God and if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly the Church of Jesus Christ. My answer did not come immediately but six months later. However, once I had convinced the Lord that I was sincere in my wishes, I began to receive bits and pieces of inspiration. When I found my answer, I went to the Lord in prayer, and the Holy Ghost bore witness to my spirit that the Book of Mormon is true. I encourage you to try the experiment. Sincerely and prayerfully search for your answer. Once you have found the truth, the Holy Ghost will bear witness to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment