Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Conservatives and Liberals

I visited a local library earlier this week and found a book called Rules for Radicals by Saul D. Alinsky (copyright 1971). This book is apparently a textbook for liberal/progressive, community organizer types like ACORN associates, Barack Obama, Black Panthers, etc. It gives the rules for "Have Nots" to organize and take the power from the "Haves" by using the existing "system" to form a revolution. I decided to check out the book just to see what is in it.
I was surprised to find a lot of quotes in the book by Jesus Christ, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Payne, Tocqueville, etc. to justify his revolution against our system. The quote that surprised me the most was this one from Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" (p 20).
I personally have heard this quote many times, but this is the first time I've heard it in reference to our Republican democracy under the U.S. Constitution as being "evil." To me this is a classic case of calling good evil and evil good. I realized that no matter what "side" we are on in any type of discussion, we can "slant" a quote to support our argument.
A lot of what I read was so twisted that I had a difficult time believing what I was reading. The author would go on for pages telling why the system needed to be overthrown because of its oppression. Then he would write a sentence or two about how the freedoms in our country would allow the quiet revolution to take place. Maybe the last part of the book will make more sense to me than what I've read.
I am happy to be able to say that I am not a progressive. I also agree with whoever said "liberals/progressives think differently than conservatives."
My question is are we born leaning either conservative or liberal/progressive or do we become whatever we are because of environment? If it is environment, how can I account for the fact that I have children that lean conservative as well as children who lean liberal? What causes the difference between someone who thinks "I am so grateful for my freedoms because I can do/become whatever I desire" and someone who thinks "They owe me" or even "we owe them" because of some unfairness somewhere? Is it "nature" or nurture?" Or could it be indoctrination by forces outside the home environment or some of each?
The bottom line is how do we teach the rising generation about the greatness of this country without turning them against the very things we are teaching them?
I love America! I know it is good! I believe that the closer our country is run by the inspired principles in the U.S. Constitution, the better our Republic will work. I believe that we need to go back to the Constitution instead of "progressing" away from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment