Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Vote for the Constitution


            The topic of discussion for this Constitution Monday concerns the need for Americans to always vote for the Constitution in every election. In every election there are politicians who make many promises, most of which they cannot or will not ever deliver. The voter must see through the mists of promises to see how the politician will protect and preserve the Constitution.   
       
            Like many other Americans, I watched the process of the 2016 presidential election quite closely. I had my favorites, none of which were current members of Congress because I wanted the conservative people to stay in place. Therefore, I leaned toward conservative governors. I did not choose Donald Trump during the Primary. Once he became the Republican nominee, he had my vote. I looked at the alternative – Hillary Clinton – and did not consider it even close!

            I voted for Trump in order to keep Clinton out of the White House. I did not want her to have the ability to nominate future justices on the Supreme Court. Even though I had no idea what Trump would do as President, I had a fairly good idea of what Clinton would do. I chose Liberty over tyranny. I found that I was far from alone in my choices.

            Mark Alexander at The Patriot Post posted an article expressing the same choice. He explains that people asked him for months, “How will you vote?” He gave the answer that he has given every election since he first voted: “For our Constitution – for the candidate who is most likely to nominate constitutionally constructionist judges to the Supreme Court, those who will promote Liberty over tyranny.”

            Alexander’s answer is a good one for all Americans to keep in mind. Millions of people, including Alexander and I, learned the importance of our votes for Trump soon after he was inaugurated. Only ten days later he nominated Neil Gorsuch to fill the Supreme Court seat left open by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. A week ago we again saw the importance of our votes for Trump when he nominated Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy who is retiring.

            Trump essentially nominated a man who will move the court to the side that protects the Constitution. The meltdown by the Left indicates how important this decision was. The new nominee shared his philosophy as a judge.

My judicial philosophy is straightforward. A judge must be independent and must interpret the law, not make the law. A judge must interpret statutes as written. And a judge must interpret the Constitution as written, informed by history and tradition and precedent.

            The Left thinks that the Constitution was written by some old white men who did not understand our day and that it is a living document that changes to fit the current beliefs of anyone who does not like what it says. The Left likes judges and justices who make the law rather than interpret what is written. There is little wonder why the Left is so upset that Trump would nominate a person like Kavanaugh to fill the seat.

            With his two nominees for justices, Donald Trump has proven to be a President who will preserve and protect the Constitution. I feel much satisfaction for my choice to vote for him. We should always vote for the Constitution and Liberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment