Families, communities, and nations are strengthened by good communication. Effective communication is essential for understanding, and good understanding is important for strong relationships. There are no more important relationships that that between family members.
In order to have good understanding, we must have effective communication. Here are ten suggestions for more effective communication.
1. Pause for a moment to think before responding, especially to sensitive matters.
2. Be trustworthy and honest in order for others to always believe what you say.
3. Do not attempt to rush communication. Take time to pay attention to what is being said because family relationships are the most important ones.
4. Be willing to adapt your ideas to others and don’t expect others to indulge you.
5. Be present in the moment and devote your full attention to the person or people
to whom you are communicating. Listen with your eyes.
6. Be aware of what is being said in non-verbal ways. Body language speaks volumes.
7. Listen to understand, not just to respond. Listen with compassion in tender moments.
8. Stay positive, be patient, and keep an open mind.
9. Follow-up after communicating, particularly after discussing sensitive matter.
10. Ask for feedback from others and be willing to consider it.
Some other ideas found on Facebook to improve communication are as follows: (1) If you are missing someone, call them. (2) If you want to get together with someone, invite them. (3) If you are seeking understanding, explain. (4) If you have questions, ask them. (5) If you do not like something, say so. (6) If you like something, say so. (7) If you want something, ask for it. (8) If you love someone, tell them today.
Communications between family members are the most important ones on earth. They deserve our best efforts because good communication strengthens families and strong families strengthen communities and nations.