Some people recognize the value of alpha males, and some people do not. The University of Wyoming recently invested $500,000 to create and execute a campaign to market the university locally and nationally. The new marketing slogan is “The World Needs More Cowboys.” Professors at the university believe that the new slogan promotes white straight men and intimates nonwhite students. The professors obviously do not know that there are black and Native American cowboys. I hope that the university keeps their slogan, and they seem to be doing so!
I happen to like cowboys and know a few of them myself. I think that I was drawn to Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush because they were cowboys as much as because of their politics. I think that I like cowboys because of the legends surrounding them. It seems that all the Zane Grey heroes were cowboys who protected the women and defended the truth. Cowboy heroes were also alpha males.
Donald Trump is no cowboy, but he is an alpha male. In case any of my readers do not understand what an alpha male is, here is a dictionary definition: “the dominant male animal in a particular group” or “a man tending to assume a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations.” An alpha male has also been described as “the real man, a man’s man, a warrior, a stand-up guy… a leader, the guy others look to for motivation, inspiration, and often with a hint of jealousy.”
In order to help people avoid confusion about alpha males, John Hawkins put together an article describing “The 10 Essential Traits of Alpha Males.” I found them to be interesting as well as the truth from my point of view. What do you think? Do you know any alpha males?
1. They Lead [and people naturally follow their leadership].
2. They’re Confident. [No one looks up to or follows “an indecisive, whiny anxiety-ridden man.”]
3. They can handle themselves during a conflict. [They “take care of business” and “don’t crumble under that pressure.”]
4. They’re masculine. [Enough said!]
5. They have a certain amount of style and charisma…. Part of being an alpha is making people think, “Wow, I’d like to be like him.” This factor is what separates someone who’s merely a tough guy from someone who’s an alpha male.
6. They’re strong: Alphas are physically and/or mentally stronger than most other people.
7. They’re risk takers. [Alpha males take “measured risks” and make “them pay off.”]
8. They’re independent. [A man must be able to take care of himself before he can lead others.]
9. They’re competent [and] capable of getting the job done.
10. They’re dominant. [Alpha males “are not submissive,” do not “shy away from necessary conflict,” and do not “shrink into the background” and become a “yes man.” The fact that they are dominant “shows in the way they talk, their body language, and even in the amount of space they take up in a room.”]
Every group needs a leader. Families, in particular, need a leader, and most successful families have a father as the leader in partnership with the mother. There are families where the father is incapable of being an alpha male that leads his family. In these instances and others where there is no father in the home, the mother is forced into the sole leadership role. Many such mothers do outstanding jobs in successfully rearing their children to become responsible adults. However, the Lord’s pattern for families is for a father who presides over, provides for,and protects his family. This type of father must be an alpha male, and I am grateful that all my sons are alpha males.
Since our nation is nothing more than an enormous family, I am grateful that we have an alpha male at the head of it. Donald Trump has all ten traits listed above for alpha males, and he uses these traits as he puts America first as he leads the rest of the world.
Post a Comment