Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, April 18, 2020

How Do You Hear Him?


            Individuals have heard the voice of Heavenly Father only a few times in the history of mankind. He does not speak often, but He testifies of Jesus Christ when He does speak. We have records for several of the introductions. They began early in the New Testament, continue in the Book of Mormon – Another Testament of Jesus Christ, and continue in our day.


After he baptized Jesus Christ, John the Baptist heard a voice from heaven saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17). On the Mount of Transfiguration, Peter, James, and John heard a voice out of a cloud say, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him” (Matthew 17:5). When He spoke to the Nephites in ancient America, the Father said, “Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name – hear ye him” (3 Nephi 11:7). In 1820 the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to a fourteen-year-old boy named Joseph Smith, and the Father introduced His Son with these words, “This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” (Joseph Smith – History 1:17). Two hundred years the Father’s invitation remains the same. “Hear Him!”


            God continues to speak to His children on earth and calls out to us “Hear Him!” When we take the time and open our hearts to listen, heaven opens. God speaks to us through the still, small voice of the Holy Ghost, but He speaks in different ways to different people. How do you hear His voice?


            It was the day before Easter when I discovered an Easter study plan with the title “Hear Him.” I knew that I was late starting the plan, but I decided to do it any way and came away blessed. The purpose of the plan was to help individuals and families to reflect on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ through studying the last week of His life. The plan presented a daily devotional created on a specific topic and included a scripture, a quote from a latter-day prophet, a video, a hymn, an idea for an activity, and a study question.


            The topic for the first day (which would have been Monday of Easter week) was “Hear Him by Removing Distractions. The scripture for this day was the testimony of Joseph Smith proclaiming, “I saw two Personages… stand above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other – This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” (Joseph Smith – History 1:17). The prophetic statement was made by President Russell M. Nelson:


There are a few wonderful occasions in the scriptures when our Heavenly Father personally introduced His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, with a specific charge to “Hear Him!”


Today, this most important invitation from our loving Heavenly Father to listen to the voice of the Lord and to follow His teachings is extended to us….


I invite you to think deeply and often about this key question: How do you hear Him? 


The video was “Jesus Cleanses the Temple,” and it depicted Jesus Christ driving the money changers and animals from the temple. He was removing the distractions, so that worshipers could use the temple as it was intended to be used. The music was “Slow Down,” a musical number written by Chuck Girard and performed by Sissel with The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. All of us are busy and try to do two or more things at a time. In order to hear the Lord’s voice, we must slow down and listen. I practiced slowing my life down by meditating and seeking to hear the voice of the Lord.


I had an enjoyable experience as I listened for the voice of the Lord that day and every day for the next week. I will share more of my listening experiences in coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment