Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Monday, May 1, 2023

Do American Children Have the Right to Express Their Political Views?

 My VIP for this week is Liam Morrison, a 12-year-old seventh grader at Nichols Middle School in Middleborough, Massachusetts. He was sent home because he wore a T-shirt that said, “there are only two genders,” a position that he believes. He is my VIP because he “bravely, brilliantly, and bluntly” defended his position at a Middleborough Public Schools Committee meeting. You can watch his defense here in an article by Michele Blood at The Blaze

According to Blood, Morrison lowered the microphone and said, “I never thought that the shirt I wore to school … would lead me to speak with you today.” He then explained that he had been taken out of gym class in March for what he called a “very uncomfortable talk” with two adults. He was told that his shirt made some people feel “unsafe” and that he could return to class if he removed the shirt.         

The preteen explained that he felt that he was in trouble even though he was told that he was not in trouble. He told the adults that he did not want to remove his shirt, and school officials called his father to pick him up. He was grateful that his father supported his position and picked him up.

In his presentation before the committee, Morrison explained, “I was told that my shirt was ‘targeting a protected class.’ Who is this protected class? Are their feeling more important than my rights?” He continued by saying that he did not “complain when he saw diversity posters and pride flags in the school ‘because others have rights to their beliefs just as I do.’”

Morrison was having difficulty understanding the problem because “no students or staff told him they were bothered by what he was wearing,” and some students even said that “they supported him and wanted a similar T-shirt.”

Despite being told his shirt was a “disruption to learning,” Liam said no one stormed out of class or burst into tears.


“I experience disruptions to my learning every day. Kids acting out in class are a disruption, yet nothing is done,” Liam said. “Why do rules apply to one but not another?”


“I feel like these adults were telling me it wasn’t OK for me to have an opposing view.”


“Their arguments are weak, in my opinion,” Liam said, briefly looking up from his papers, directing his gaze at the adults on stage.


“I have learned a lot in this experience…. I learned that adults don’t always do the right thing or make the right decisions.”


“I know I have the right to wear a shirt with those five words. Even at 12 years old, I have my own political opinions and I have a right to express those opinions, even at school. This right is called the First Amendment to the Constitution.”


“I hope you will speak up for the rest of us so we can express ourselves without being pulled out of class,” Lim concluded, thanking the committee for its time.

Although the committee did not comment on Morrison’s remarks, he should be applauded for being brave enough to defend his position in front of the committee. Even at 12 years of age, he understands that the Constitution protects his right to express his opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment