Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

What Do You Lack?

My Come, Follow Me studies for this week took me to Matthew 19-20, Mark 10, and Luke 18 in a lesson titled “What Lack I Yet?” The lesson was preceded by this bit of counsel: “Read and ponder Matthew 19-20; Mark 10; and Luke 18 paying attention to the promptings you receive. Make note of those promptings, and determine how you will at on them.” The lesson was introduced by this paragraph: 

If you had the opportunity to ask the Savior a question, what would it be? When a certain rich young man met the Savior for the first time, he asked, “What good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16). The Savior’s response showed both appreciation for the good things the young man had already done and loving encouragement to do more. When we ponder the possibility of eternal life, we may similarly wonder if there’s more we should be doing. When we ask, in our own way, “What lack I yet?” (Matthew 19:20), the Lord can give us answers that are just as personal as His response to the rich young man. Whatever the Lord asks us to do, acting on His answer will always require that we trust Him more than our own righteousness (see Luke 18:9-14) and t hat we “receive the kingdom of God as a little child” (Luke 18:17; see also 3 Nephi 9:22).

This scripture block contained numerous principles worthy of discussion, but I feel prompted to discuss this one: “If I ask the Lord, He will teach me what I need to do to inherit eternal life” (Matthew 19:16-22; Mark 10:17-22; Luke 18:18-23). The three chapters tell the same story with variation in detail. The following verses come from Mark 10:17-22.

17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?


18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.


19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.


20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.


21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.


22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

The Savior was aware of the goodness of the young man, and He loved him. Yet, He understood what the young man needed to do – give your riches to the poor and follow me. The Lord will tell you or me what we need to do to inherit eternal life IF we ask Him. However, there is another principle that can strengthen our courage: “The Lord will help us to make up what we lack.” The Book of Mormon – Another Testament of Jesus Christ (Ether 12:27) gives us more information about how He does it.

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

We all have weaknesses, but we can overcome them if we are humble and turn to the Lord for help. This does not mean that overcoming weakness will be easy or quick. It simply means that the Lord will help us if we ask him. Elder Larry R. Lawrence said the following in a General Conference address in October 2015 titled “What Lack I Yet?” (Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015). 

The journey of discipleship is not an easy one. It has been called a “course of steady improvement.” As we travel along that strait and narrow path, the Spirit continually challenges us to be better and to climb higher. The Holy Ghost makes an ideal traveling companion. If we are humble and teachable, He will take us by the hand and lead us home.


However, we need to ask the Lord for directions along the way. We have to ask some difficult questions, like “What do I need to change?” “How can I improve?” “What weakness needs strengthening?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment