Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Zimmerman Decision

                I felt relief when I learned that the six-woman jury in Florida brought a “Not Guilty” decision for George Zimmerman.  The reason I felt relief is that I do not believe that Zimmerman wanted to kill Trayvon Martin and I believe that Zimmerman acted in self-defense.  I did not watch the trial or read the trial notes; I am simply going by what I read in the mainstream media and on the Internet.  Like Thomas Jefferson, I personally would rather have a guilty person go free than an innocent person found guilty.  This is why I felt relief in the decision.

                The jury found Zimmerman “Not Guilty” in a very controversial trial, and I believe the jurors had no other option in this case.  I am grateful the jurors relied on the facts and the law and disregarded any personal views they might have had.  I believe they acted with great courage in doing so.  I believe it is important for jurors to follow the letter of the law in their decisions.  If the laws are wrong, we should follow the prescribed process in revising and revamping them.  I appreciate the commitment of the members of the jury to serve in such a highly publicized trial. 

                In feeling relief at the decision, I am in no way minimalizing the death of Trayvon Martin.  No man, woman, or child deserves to have their life taken by another person.  Every person deserves to live out their life as they see fit.  I am sorry that seventeen-year-old Trayvon lost his life at such a young age.  I am deeply sorry for the pain of his family and friends.  I wish I could do more, but I cannot do anything except express my condolences.

I feel great sorrow for George Zimmerman because he will have to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed a young man.  I cannot imagine anything worse in life!   I feel certain that he will spend a part of every day for the rest of his life thinking about what happened that night.  I believe that his life will never be the same.

I also feel sorrow for our nation because we have such a great racial divide.  I hope our political leaders will learn to govern without fanning the flames of racial hate and will say and do those things that will bring unity to our nation.  I hope we can move past the charges of racism and threats of rioting and learn to live together as human beings – black, white, brown, and yellow.  We are all children of one Heavenly Father – brothers and sisters who are equally loved by God.  I know that our Father in Heaven has many blessings that He would like to bestow upon us but which He is holding in reserve until we learn to live in unity and love in our nation.  In order to receive those blessings and move forward in a positive manner, we must stop living in the past, learn to see things as they really are, and prepare for a happy and prosperous future - together.  I know we can learn to get along better and work together in making this nation even greater.  I hope all Americans will act responsibly and lawfully to turn this terrible tragedy into something good.


No comments:

Post a Comment