Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

First Vision

                What do you know about the First Vision?  Why is the First Vision important?  The First Vision took place in the spring of 1820 and brought information that no mortal man then living on earth knew.  It marked the beginning of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Restoration is the most important event to take place since the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. 

                The Prophet Joseph Smith knelt in prayer in a secluded spot in a grove of trees now known as the Sacred Grove.  In answer to his prayer he saw a pillar of light “above the brightness of the sun” and watched as the light gradually descended and fell upon him.  When the light rested on him, he saw “two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other – This is My Beloved Son.  Hear Him!” (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith – History, 1:16-17). 

                Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ!  In one moment the young Prophet knew more about God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, than any person on earth knew about Them.  He knew for himself that they were two separate Personages with bodies of “flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22).

                President David O. McKay, the late Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, taught:  “That one revelation answers all the [questions] regarding God and his divine personality.  … His interest in humanity through authority delegated to man is apparent.  The future of the work is assured.  These and other glorious truths are clarified by that glorious first vision” (Teachings of the Church:  David O. McKay [2003], 93).


                I have a picture of the First Vision hanging in a prominent spot in my home.  I had an interesting and wonderful experience as I ordered framing for the picture.  I tried several different frames and mixed and matched them with several different mats.  I noticed that I strongly felt the presence of the Holy Ghost when I put a certain mat with a certain frame.  After I realized I was receiving personal revelation, I experimented by mixing the frames and mats as I had been doing previously.  Sure enough, when I put a certain mat with a certain frame, I felt the prompting of the Holy Ghost.  I assumed that Someone in heaven was telling me His preference, and I ordered the same.  I remember this experience whenever I look at my picture of the First Vision.  I have a firm testimony that the Father and Son appeared to Joseph Smith as he said.  I know Joseph is a true prophet of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment