Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Elizabeth Warren


            Elizabeth Warren is my VIP for the week simply because she finally had a test done on her DNA. The results show that a “pure Native American ancestor appears in her family tree `in the range of 6-10 generations ago.’” Warren apparently has a great-great-great-grandmother who was at least partially Native American. This means that Warren is from 1/32nd to 1/1024th Native American. 

            Even though the DNA report shows Native American blood in Warren’s ancestry, I do not believe that she has the right to call herself a Native American. I, too, have Native American blood in my ancestry according to my DNA report. Apparently, I am 1% Native American. That means that I am 99% something else – which includes 25% Scottish ancestry. I do not refer to myself as a Scot, so I should not refer to myself as a Native American. Although I am not ashamed to have Native American blood, I do not consider myself to be one. If I called myself a Native American, I believe that I would be insulting my many Native American friends. I just cannot do it, and I believe that Warren is wrong to do so. There seems to be other people who agree with me

No comments:

Post a Comment