Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Colin Kaepernick

                I had a difficult time deciding who to make my VIP for today. Since 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick is in the news, I thought I would write about him – whether or not he is worthy of VIP status. Last Friday the 49ers played a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, and Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem.

                Kaepernick stated, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color…. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” He said that he is not “looking for approval” and only wants to “stand up for people that are oppressed.”

                I do not intend to discuss whether or not Kaepernick “should” stand for the national anthem. America is the land of liberty. We have the freedom to do what we want as long as it does not hurt anyone else or endanger our own health or life. I will say that I believe he is the wrong person for the protest. See this site for a similar view

                I understand that Kaepernick is bi-racial, having a white mother and an African American father. He was adopted and reared by a white couple. He lives in a nation where the current President is bi-racial, two black people have been Secretary of State, two black people have been Attorney General, and another black person is currently Secretary of Homeland Security.  In addition, numerous other African Americans have had leadership positions. He also plays football for the NFL where he makes millions of dollars playing with a ball. He has been blessed, not oppressed.

                As for as I am concerned Kaepernick can sit through the national anthem as often as he likes, but he cannot say that blacks are currently oppressed in the United States. Affirmative action places black students in universities even though students of other races are better qualified for admittance. Most people in America want blacks to succeed just as we want all other races to prosper.


                I am, however, getting really tired of being called a racist and being told that I “owe” other races something simply because I am white. The more Mr. Obama and other liberals discuss racism, the more I notice people of color. I do not think any less of them, but I am more aware that they are different than I am. Before Mr. Obama took office, I considered all people as human beings; now, I think of them as different races and wonder where in Asia or South America they originate. I think of race more often now simply because it is constantly thrown in my face. I liked the old America best!

No comments:

Post a Comment